Friday, August 7, 2015

I'm a creative GENIUS.... jk I'm not



I am a woman of many hobbies.

Maybe it’s a subconscious tick after watching Idle Hands as a kid at Lac du Bonnet with my cousins - But I ALWAYS have to be doing something. I always have a project on the go. 

Anyone who knows me can attest to the many different things I’ve tried my hand at –

  • Paint by numbers
  • Painting WITHOUT numbers (this was not as successful)
  • Knitting
  • Arm-knitting
  • Crocheting
  • Needlepoint
  • Painting my nails obsessively and becoming not too bad at nail art.
  • Sewing
  • Quilting
  •  Scrapbooking
  • Make up
  • Pottery
  • Cosplay Sculpting
  • Baking
  • Pyrography

The list goes on I’m sure, but I tend to go on mega tangents. Granted this more so tended to happen when I was single and had a lot more free time. (If I was going to be a spinster I was going to be a good one DAMMIT!) But that being said I am fairly lucky to have found someone willing to indulge me and hang one of my “Paintings” in his bedroom and keep a business magnet of mine on his fridge. So credit where credit is due.

I’ve always approached most tasks with a “Pfffft I could totally make that” attitude. Granted, not everything comes out the way I exactly picture it in my head. I think the stuffed dragon I made for my friend’s poor son Lachlan is proof of that. This is what happens when you try to “wing” making a dragon stuffy without a pattern. A far cry from the dragon I made for his younger brother. 

Lachlan's sad Dragon

Cohen's awesome little Toothless

Generally the question becomes “How did you know you were good at that?” Easy – I didn’t I HAD NO CLUE. I grabbed myself some supplies, and just took a stab at whatever it was, maybe I watched a couple youtube videos or found a helpful pinterest tutorial. But more often than not it was a “Here goes nothing!” Type of situation.

I’ve always been fairly creatively inclined, even though I usually stunk in art class. My drawing capabilities are nothing to write home about but almost anything else seemed to work. I am definitely NOT the artist in the family, on EITHER side of my family tree.  Wanna see something impressive – My cousin drew this on the way to Disney World on the plane. That’s talent. 

I think my artistic nature does come from my paternal Grandmother though, she is artsy and talented AF. Props to you Grandma. 

I must say though on a fairly consistent basis I surprise the crap out of myself.  I have two t-shirt quilts, a stuffed toothless, a game of thrones couples costume for me AND my horse, and a nice small little Pyrography business to show for it.

I don’t really know where I was going with all of this, probably to just say “Hey, that thing you don’t think you can make? Give it a try,” Worse case scenario is that you wind up with a really sad floppy dragon like poor Lachlan. 

-I’m sorry Lachlan, maybe one day I will try to make you a Shark blanket and see if THAT works (don’t hold your breath)

No comments:

Post a Comment